Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Commecial Single Engine Add-On

Asked by: 4224 views ,
Flight Instructor

I've got a Comm-MEL student who is currently doing his SEL add-on with me. Is there anything that says I can't sign him off for a solo endorsement if he wants to go practice the maneuvers by himself?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Micah on Aug 03, 2010

    What private certificate(s) does your Commercial-SEL add-on student have? If your student has a private ASEL certificate he needs no endorsement to practice “commercial maneuvers.”

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Micah on Aug 03, 2010

    There may be a typo in the question. What is this student currently training for–commercial AMEL or ASEL?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Matthew Waugh on Aug 03, 2010

    If you really have a pilot who does not have a SEL on his certificate then I refer you to AC 61-98A and section 13 where the FAA has considered the idea and told you what you need to ensure.

    i can believe that there are people out there with multi only licenses. It’s rare in the US, but if you were at an employer funded career training program for use overseas I wouldn’t waste any time on single engine aircraft – I’d do all the training in multi-engine, it’s not like you’ll ever need a single engine license in your airline career (outside the US, you’ll need it in the US when you get furloughed).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.