Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Type Certifications

Asked by: 2058 views FAA Regulations, General Aviation, Helicopter

How does one achieve a type certification on your pilots license?  I was talking to Bell about getting a 206L type cert. and they said Bell does not add the type cert to your license, that you would have to contact FAA?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Elliot Block on Mar 06, 2014

    You do not need a type certificate for any helicopter below 12,500 pounds. Of course if you want to fly a Robinson, you need to get an endorsement from an instructor that fulfills SFAR 73.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Kris Kortokrax on Mar 06, 2014

    Prior to August 1997, a type rating was added to a pilot certificate at the ATP level. There are may pilots who have certificates with type ratings for a Bell 206 and other small helicopters.

    There are also many foreign countries who place type ratings for small helicopters on their pilot licenses.

    For a U.S. pilot certificate issued after 1997, type ratings are only placed on the certificate for helicopters weighing over 12,500 MTOW. There are very few of these and most are used in external load operations.

    For the Robinsons, you do need to meet SFAR 73 initial requirements, as well as flight review and 61.57 currency on an ongoing basis. You do not need to deal with SFAR 73 for the Robinson R66.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.