Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

61.129(a)(3)(i) Commercial Instrument Training

Asked by: 7468 views , , , , , , ,
Commercial Pilot, FAA Regulations

My question pertains to instrument training while seeking a Commercial certificate. I am Instrument Rated and received the rating by way of a Part 141 curriculum. 

Prior guidance from this site says I should probably plan for an additional 10 hours of instrument training prior to the Commercial check ride. Can 5 hours be in a single engine airplane, and 5 in an AATD? Can the AATD with a white-out screen count as a view-limiting device?

The reg doesn't say "flight training". It says:

20 hours of training ... that includes at least—

(i) Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems. Five hours of the 10 hours required on instrument training must be in a single engine airplane;

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Wes Beard on Nov 22, 2013

    You read it correctly. Need 10 hrs with a minimum 5 hrs in the airplane.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.