Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers


Asked by: 2176 views Private Pilot

Hello everyone !

I completed my JAR-FCL PPL Training and passed the  checkride about one month ago .
The License is still being issued... My BIG question is :

I have trained on a plane equiped with a Variable Pitch Propeller ..
Well ive asked the Licensing Department of my Flight School and they told that im not going to have a Variable Pitch Propeller Rating on my license ...
Is that true ???

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Rob on Dec 27, 2013

    Only Type-, Class or Instrument ratings are written in your license (PPL).

    The Variable Pitch Rating (VP) you are referring to is a part of the seven endorsements that require Differences Training.

    So your instructor should sign in your logbook that you have a Variable Pitch Propeller endorsement.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. John Svante on Dec 30, 2013

    Your variable pitch propeller (VP) endorsement should be written in your logbook and signed by your instructor.

    But to explain it further your EASA/JAR-FCL PPL is the license. To your license you can connect different ratings like Single Engine Piston Land (SEPL), MEPL, IR, and so on.. however these require a new skill test by an examiner.

    Well these ratings are either class, type or instrument ratings. Your SEPL is a class rating which states that you are entitled to fly any aircraft within that type. However, that being said, if any aircraft has an item found in the Difference Training list (look in your Air Law book) you will require further training by a FI or CRI.

    After your additional training he or she will then write an endorsement in your logbook. And since you already have the class rating to begin with (SEPL) you will not need a new skill test.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.