Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Flight schools

Asked by: 2018 views , , , ,
FAA Regulations, Flight Instructor, Instrument Rating

Why many part 141 flight schools' CFI/CFII training programs contain much less ground and flight hours than the FAA requires? Note: 1. the FAA requires (part 141) 40 hours of ground school and 25 hours of flight training for the CFI and 15 hours ground and 15 flight training for the CFII.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. Lucas on Sep 01, 2013

    Because they conduct the Initial CFII which only requires 15/15 and reduces the CFIA to only 20 hours of dual (additional rating), and usually they drop you to 61 for the additional CFIA rating telling you that you will save money (which is most of the time true).


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Wes Beard on Sep 01, 2013

    At the 141 flight school I attended, I completed the CFI under Part 141 and then CFII and MEI under Part 61.

    It is more common for the whole process to be conducted under Part 61 as there are no minimum hour requirements.

    There are incentives to complete the program under Part 141 if your school has examining authority for the instructor courses. If this is the case, the end of course exam is substituted for the practical test. You could get your instructor ratings without seeing a designated examiner.

    My 141 school had examining authority for the initial CFI so when I took that test (with the chief flight instructor who was also a DPE) and passed I received my CFI certificate.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.