Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Logging time in a King Air 350

Asked by: 2292 views FAA Regulations

I have a commercial license, multi engine land, and instrument rating.  I have the opportunity fly right seat in a King Air 350 with a pilot who is an ATP, but NOT a CFI/MEI. Can I log dual received, multi engine, turbo prop time towards my ATP rating with an endorsement from the pilot I'm flying with?  Reading the regs, I'm unsure if the requirement for a type rating in this particular airplane comes into play at all. Thanks!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Thomas Johnson on Aug 20, 2013

    A 350 requires a type rating, and since you don’t have a CFI on board I don’t think you can log anything. Even tho he/she is an ATP, they can’t endorse you for anything.

    +2 Votes Thumb up 2 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Aug 20, 2013

    The requirement for the type rating means that you can’t log PIC as sole manipulator since that requires you have the applicable aircraft rating. You don’t.

    Since you’ve looked at the regs, you probably know one of the privileges of an ATP is to instruct. But that privilege is limited to instruction “in air transportation.” That means both the student and the ATP need to be part of the same approved training program run by an airline. Are you? If not, no dual received.

    Can you find something 61.51 that you think allows you to log something? If not, sorry, nothing on this flight is logable or countable toward any FAA certificate, rating or operating privilege.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Mark on Jul 09, 2017

    I am in the same position as the first poster here.

    This operation is part 91 and the 350 is certified for single pilot operations and the pilot is certified for that too. Now they just want a second set of eyes. If this operation meets the requirements of part 61.55 then it looks like a guy could log SIC time.

    Here is someone’s else’s take with logging SIC time.

    The 350 is a commuter category airplane. 91.531 a. 3 says that no operator may operate a commuter aircraft without an SIC, except they MAY do so if the aircraft is certificated for one pilot and the aircraft has nine or less seats. The operative word being MAY. So if they decide to use an SIC, it is logable in this situation.
    Also, an SIC type isn’t required. 61.55 (a) 3 says that a type rating is required UNLESS it is a completely domestic operation. Also, 61.55 (b) goes on to list the training required to act as SIC. But, 61.55 (d) says you MAY receive an SIC type, and 61.55 (d) 7 also states that a practical test isn’t required in this situation.
    So, IF they are willing to teach you about the airplane and CRM, and give you the flight training required by 61.55, you would be able to fly and log SIC. If you want the SIC type, you’d just take your training records and a completed 8710 to the FSDO and they’d issue you one.
    Of course this is all paraphrased.

    Am I missing something? Or do I need a type rating to log SIC?

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.