Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

5 Answers

Logging PIC time

Asked by: 2714 views , ,
FAA Regulations

Hello, I am having a hard time finding an answer to this question regarding logging PIC time. I am trying to build my PIC cross country time, and have a friend who owns a cessna 210 in which I fly frequently. I have my high performance and complex rating however, have never been officially checked out in a cessna 210 as I received these ratings in a C182. My question is can I legally log the time I am sole manipulator of the controls when flying the C210 with my friend even though I have never received an official check out in this specific aircraft? If I am reading the regulations right, I have a SEL complex and high performance rating which allows me to log PIC in any aircraft in that category. Is this correct? Thank you for the help.

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

5 Answers

  1. Kris Kortokrax on Aug 06, 2013

    High performance and complex are endorsements, not ratings. They do not appear on your pilot certificate. They are necessary to ACT as PIC, not to LOG PIC. If your pilot certificate shows Airplane Single Engine Land, you may log time spent as sole manipulator of the controls in a Cessna 210 as PIC time.

    That does not mean that you may automatically log it as PIC cross country time. See 61.1. In order to log PIC cross country time, you would need to be sole manipulator for the whole flight, to include takeoff and landing, as well as being responsible for the navigation in order to log PIC time. Merely manipulating the controls for a portion of the flight would not allow you to log cross country PIC time.

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Mark Kolber on Aug 06, 2013

    My question is can I legally log the time I am sole manipulator of the controls when flying the C210 with my friend even though I have never received an official check out in this specific aircraft?

    In addition to what Kris said, I’ll answer this specific part of your question. “Checkouts” are FBO and insurance-imposed requirements. They are not the FAA’s. Even if you never even saw a 210 in your life, from the FAA’s point of view, with your ASEL rating and your high performance and complex endorsements*, you are welcome to hop into a 210 with your loved ones and go take a trip. Not particularly wise, but definitely legal.

    * lack of understanding of the difference between rating and endorsement is probably the cause of at least 80% of all logging question confusion and a good number of command authority questions)

    +3 Votes Thumb up 3 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. TonyGio on Aug 06, 2013

    Kris and Mark,
    Thank you for the replies. This clears up the question I had. I should have been a little more clear in my initial question, by no means would I take a 210 solo having never been checked out in one. I was simply looking for cost effecient ways to build my hours and since I fly in a cessna 210 very often I am making sure that I can legally log the time that I actually fly the aircraft. Also thank you for the clerificatin on building cross country time.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  4. Brent on Aug 06, 2013

    To expand on Mark’s point about checkouts being an FBO/insurance construct, it’s possible the original poster was confusing the idea of a checkout with a type rating. The Cessna 210 is not heavy enough to require a type rating, though, so the single engine land class rating would be sufficient for the purpose of 61.51(e)(i).

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  5. Mark Kolber on Aug 06, 2013

    Could be Brent. But a type rating appears on the pilot certificate and requires a Practical Test with an FAA Inspector or Designated Examiner so it “should” be difficult to confuse the two.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.