Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Part 61 Vs Part 141

Asked by: 2943 views General Aviation

What is the diffrence between Part 61 Vs Part 141 ?

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. John D. Collins on May 29, 2013

    Part 61 describes the training requirements for pilots and other pilot issues. Part 141 describes the requirements for an FAA certificated school. Training is permitted under the Part 61 requirements by authorized instructors. Part 141 offers some advantages in that the curriculum and control over the training process permits some courses to require fewer hours by the student, particularly for the commercial and instrument ratings. Part 141 is very rigid in its requirements.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. Bruce J. Sato CFI, CFII on May 30, 2013

    Also part 61 has no stage checks and part 141 does have stage checks. So with that in mind, should a student fail a stage check, the student would go back and sit down with the instructor that gave the training with the student and repeat whatever part of the stage check that the student failed on and move on to the next phase of learning, of course assuming that the instructor has found him/her competent enough and redo the stage check. At least that’s how I did both my Instrument & Commercial.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  3. Ale on May 31, 2013

    In addition to what John & Bruce mentioned, pilots who obtain their pilot certificates under part 61, won’t be able to convert them to licenses into a foreign license. This can be a big obstacle in getting a job overseas.

    i.e. the first thing most foreign aviation authorities ask you about, when you approach them to validate or convert your FAA license to their local license, is “under which part did you take your training?”.

    Note: Not all countries reject pilot licenses obtained under part 61 though. Some other countries care less for that as long as you pass all their local tests.

    +1 Votes Thumb up 1 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.