Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

2 Answers

Requirements for Canada

Asked by: 2106 views , , ,
Airspace, General Aviation

What are the Transport Canada requirements for crossing the border? I am a U.S. private pilot and the Radio Station Authorization for my PA-24 and the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit. Do I have to carry insurance on the plane? Flight Plan? I live in Maine and would like to check out Eastern Canada. Thanks!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

2 Answers

  1. perlgerl on Mar 20, 2013

    I’m in the process of learning how to do the reverse; fly from Canada to the United states. The American Owner’s and Pilot’s Association and the Canadian Owner’s and Pilot’s Association jointly publish a document “Guide to Cross-Border operations”. It covers all the differences in regulations, and the procedures required for customs and security.

    Documents required on a privately owned Canadian airplane are:

    – Certificate of Registration
    – Certificate of Airworthiness
    – Certificate of Insurance
    – Pilot Operating Handbook
    – Weight and Balance
    – Journey Log
    – Interception Orders
    – Aircraft Radio Licence
    – Pilot Licence
    – Pilot’s Radio Licence
    – Pilot’s Medical Certificate (usually in the pilot’s licence)

    You need to

    – Request Customs inspection two hours before arriving.
    – File an eApis report and get approval by email before departing.
    – File a flight plan.
    – Be in contact with a controlling agency (FAA or NavCanada) as you cross the border, squawking an assigned transponder code.
    – Land at an authorized airport of entry or hold a CANPASS authorization and land at a CANPASS airport.

    It sounds complicated, but I’ve been told that it’s straight-forward after you’ve done it once!

    Bienvenue au Canada | Welcome to Canada

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. perlgerl on Mar 21, 2013

    Here’s a link to an excellent summary from Transport Canada.


    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.