Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

3 Answers

Currency Requirements – Catagory, Class and Type

Asked by: 9981 views , , ,
FAA Regulations, Private Pilot

FAR Part 61.57 Gives the requirements for currency in order to carry passengers.  It states that a pilot must perform 3 take-offs and landings withing the preceding 9 days and they must be of the same category, class and type (if type rating is required). My questions appears to be covered, but I am not entirely sure: If three Take-off and landings to a full stop are made at night, does this cover me for day currency? If three Take-off and Landings were not made in an HP aircraft (i.e. C152), would they count for an HP aircraft (i.e. C182)? (same questions applies for complex aircraft) Thanks!

Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

3 Answers

  1. Lance on Sep 27, 2010

    Yes, night landings count for day currency too.  The high performance and complex question is also yes, since aircraft such as a C182 or a C210 are still Airplane (Category) Single Engine Land (Class) and don’t require type ratings, if you have done your currency takeoff and landings in any other Airplane Single Engine Land aircraft you satisfy that requirement, including the lowly C152.
    On another note however, if you haven’t flown a C182 in over 3 months, it is probably not a bad idea to go get some currency in it before you take other people with you.  Insurance on the aircraft can also play a factor, they can have other requirements that may include currency takeoffs and landings in type, even if a type rating is not required.  That is all dependent on what is written in your insurance contract though.

    +4 Votes Thumb up 4 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

  2. essam a almubarak on Dec 12, 2010

    Iam curently type rated on the GV and G3 and I have not flown the G-3 for more than 90 days but IAM FLYING AND MEET LANDING CURRENCY ON THE gv aM I LEAGLE TO FLY THE G-3 OR NOT

    -1 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 1 Votes

  3. Kent Shook on Dec 12, 2010

    I believe the G3 and GV require separate type ratings – If that is in fact the case, then each one requires currency separately. Category, class, and type when applicable.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.