Welcome Guest. Sign in or Signup

1 Answers

Hours to get Commercial Pilot ASEL & AMEL

Asked by: 3839 views ,
Commercial Pilot


 Trying to figure out what I need in order to get my commercial rating

Here are the req's


245 hours total time (as a pilot)

95 hours in powered aircraft (45 in airplanes)

95 hours PIC (45 in airplanes) that includes:

     50 hours cross country (10 in airplanes)

15 hours dual to include:

     7 hours complex or turbine airplane time

     1 two hour, day, 100 nm (straight line distance) cross country in a single engine airplane

     1 two hour, night, 100 nm (straight line distance) cross country in a single engine airplane

     10 hours instrument training (5 in a single engine airplane)

10 hours solo or PIC (not dual) in a single engine airplane to include:

     One 300nm cross country, with 3 landings, one of which is 250 nm straight line distance from the original point of departure

     5 hours at night in VFR conditions

     10 night takeoffs and landings at an airport with an operating control tower, each involving a traffic pattern


Are all these hours need to be flown with Instructor? Can it be done with Safety Pilot?

Which hours should be flown with ASEL and AMEL ?

Can i combine ASEL and AMEL in one checkride?



Ace Any FAA Written Test!
Actual FAA Questions / Free Lifetime Updates
The best explanations in the business
Fast, efficient study.
Pass Your Checkride With Confidence!
FAA Practical Test prep that reflects actual checkrides.
Any checkride: Airplane, Helicopter, Glider, etc.
Written and maintained by actual pilot examiners and master CFIs.
The World's Most Trusted eLogbook
Be Organized, Current, Professional, and Safe.
Highly customizable - for student pilots through pros.
Free Transition Service for users of other eLogs.
Our sincere thanks to pilots such as yourself who support AskACFI while helping themselves by using the awesome PC, Mac, iPhone/iPad, and Android aviation apps of our sponsors.

1 Answers

  1. Mark Kolber on Mar 01, 2013

    >>Are all these hours need to be flown with Instructor?<>Which hours should be flown with ASEL and AMEL ?<<

    The requirements are broken down into whether you get your commercial certificate in a single or a twin. The second aircraft rating on that certificate will have less requirements – essentially only those that require that certain required activities be "in a multiengine aircraft" for example, although it gets a bit more detailed than that. (Although you asked about a "commercial rating," it's a commercial "certificate" with aircraft "ratings." I'm assuming you weren't using the term technically and understand the difference between a "certificate" and a "rating.")

    It's theoretically possible to get both commercial certificate ratings at the same time but that tends to be a pretty localized question, so it's best to ask your instructor, flight school, examiner of FSDO.

    0 Votes Thumb up 0 Votes Thumb down 0 Votes

The following terms have been auto-detected the question above and any answers or discussion provided. Click on a term to see its definition from the Dauntless Aviation JargonBuster Glossary.

Answer Question

Our sincere thanks to all who contribute constructively to this forum in answering flight training questions. If you are a flight instructor or represent a flight school / FBO offering flight instruction, you are welcome to include links to your site and related contact information as it pertains to offering local flight instruction in a specific geographic area. Additionally, direct links to FAA and related official government sources of information are welcome. However we thank you for your understanding that links to other sites or text that may be construed as explicit or implicit advertising of other business, sites, or goods/services are not permitted even if such links nominally are relevant to the question asked.